Accepting submissions for our Time Travel Anthology of Short Stories

Buffer

We're working on an anthology of short stories based upon a certain theme. My goal is to have them published on Amazon by the end of the year. We'll see if we can finish it. There's no charge to submit a story, and if your story is picked up, there's still no charge. A team of volunteers will provide a wide range of services: beta reading, developmental editing, copy editing, ebook formatting, cover design, and marketing. These services will be compensated by a share of the royalties and/or promotion via The Masquerade Crew.

The following numbers are not set in stone. If anything, I would love to give the authors more. We'll just have to wait and see how things fall in place.
  1. 25% goes to me for a wide range of services: marketing, general coordinating, serving as an editor, formatting, etc ...
  2. 30% to the writers
  3. 20% to the editors/proofreaders
  4. 25% for marketing, cover design, formatting (someone other than me), and misc expenses.

Why am I taking so much?


Put simply: because of all the work I'm going to do, having my hand in every stage of the project. I'll be the guy that is coordinating everything, from beta reading to the finished product.

I'll also be the coordinating editor, serving as a go-between for the editors and authors. Last minute editing check? That's me too!

But there's another reason. I would love to do this full time, and in order to do that, I need to bring in as much as I possibly can while still being fair to everyone involved.

And lastly, should we need any extra money for something, it will probably come out of my portion.

The Prompt


In the spirit of H.G. Well's "The Time Machine," one character or a group of characters travel many years into the future. What do they find there? Are they able to come back home, or are they trapped? What has become of mankind? Is life better or worse? What's the political climate? The real climate? (IOW mother nature) The choices are up to you.

More notes about the prompt:

Although your piece can be a character driven story, the prompt was designed to go beyond your characters. What they find in the future should have a larger component that goes beyond their story line, something that affects mankind in general or the planet, as was the case in The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. It gives you a chance to explore society a bit and how your characters react to the changes they witness. Because of this, I suggest the trip to the future be many years into the future, more than likely beyond the lifetime of your characters.

Minimum Word Count: 5,000

Maximum Word Count: 10,000

Submission Deadline: I'll be accepting submissions until the end of September, but I suggest you get yours to me as soon as you can as we are already working on the next stage of the project.

How many submissions am I accepting?


As many as are sent in. If we feel your story is not right for this anthology, or if we have too many submissions for one anthology, we'll put your submission into another anthology. Remember: I want to do this full time.

Since there are only about six weeks left (at the time of writing this post), I'm not expecting your piece to be polished. Just get the words down on paper (or most likely on your computer) and send it to me. First draft quality is fine. We'll work on getting your piece to publishable quality in the following stages.

I'm more than willing to offer brainstorming ideas if you would like to write a piece but don't know where to start.

If you have any questions, please ask. Leave a comment or send me an email. My email address is msl_007@live.com. Send submissions to this email address as well.